A strict diet maybe the only way to eliminate fat from your body and show off your muscle definition.
But your aim is probably more than just showing the muscle you have; you need to build muscle in order to have the physique you are dreaming of. The fastest way to do this is through intensive exercise and by adding a muscle growing compound to your diet.
There are two substances you will have probably heard of; these are natural testosterone boosters and anabolic steroids. The question is which one is right for you, your goals and your overall health.
Understanding the way these Muscle Builders Work
In fact, both methods increase your testosterone levels to encourage muscle growth.
Testosterone is an essential part of the male body; it is responsible for:
- Sex Drive – This is the most well known purpose of testosterone
- Bone Mass – Testosterone has a direct link to bone density. Higher levels of testosterone equates to stronger bones; even as you age. 
- Fat distribution – Testosterone levels affect your body’s ability to trap fat. Higher levels of testosterone can prevent your body storing fat. 
- Muscle mass- A direct link between increased testosterone and increased muscle mass has been established through the increase in production of muscle protein synthesis 
As you age you will produce less testosterone; this is one of the reasons why testosterone supplements are essential to maintain health as well as muscle mass. It is also sometimes necessary to see a doctor before introducing a powerful testosterone booster into your regiment but especially with steroids.
Testosterone Boosters – The Fundamentals
A testosterone booster increases the levels of natural testosterone in your body.
This is done by using natural ingredients which have been scientifically proven to support and increase testosterone levels. Combining more than one of these ingredients in a supplement makes them even more potent whilst being extremely safe.
Testosterone boosters are commonly used for medical conditions such as erectile dysfunction as well as for building muscle mass.
An increase in natural testosterone in your body will prevent the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. It will encourage your body to produce more testosterone and reduce or even eliminate the effects of aging.
As with any supplement it is important to evaluate the risks involved before you start using it:
- Bad skin – This is generally due to the increased level of testosterone in your body; effectively returning your body to when you were a teenager. There is no health risk involved with this side effect and its fairly uncommon with natural supplements.
- Supporting Ligaments – Testosterone boosters will increase your muscle mass quickly. However, it is important to note that if you increase these too fast the tendons and ligament may not grow fast enough to support the muscle. This is why you must have a balanced muscle building program.
- Urination – In rare cases increased levels of testosterone have been linked with needing to urinate less often. This has not currently been linked with any other issue and may not actually be seen as a risk.
It should also be noted that testosterone boosters taken for a very long time can have an effect on your red blood cell count. It is best to monitor this if you are planning to take the boosters for many years but short-term (less than a year) there will be no issues.
Steroids – The Basics
In contrast steroids are man-made. These substances are produced to replicate the testosterone already found in your body; but they are completely synthetic.
It is important to note that there are two types of steroids:
- Corticosteroids are used in the medical profession to treat inflammation and immunity disorders. They are powerful and useful.
- Anabolic Androgenic steroids are designed to replicate natural testosterone; allowing you to build muscle fast.
Unfortunately, anabolic steroids are not an exact match, the very slight difference at a molecular level changes the way they interact with your body.
Because they have been scientifically altered, an anabolic steroid will target just muscle mass only; providing a fast boost to your muscles and nothing else.
However, there are risks involved in using steroids:
- Bad skin – Steroids can result in oily or acne prone skin.
- Baldness – This is not always the case but the use of anabolic steroids has been linked with baldness.
- Natural testosterone Production stops – This may not seem like an issue since you are using anabolic steroids to increase your testosterone levels. However, as steroids are targeting just muscle growth you will start to notice many of the other symptoms of low testosterone levels; including low sex drive, tiredness and even erectile dysfunction.
- Muscle Gains are Lost – Because natural testosterone production has stopped you will need to keep taking steroids or your muscle gains will quickly disappear; your body can simply not sustain them.
- High blood Pressure – This is a side effect of steroids which can lead to serious health issues. High blood pressure has been linked with increased risk of strokes, coronary issues and even diabetes. 
- Depression – Steroids can be addictive and lead to the same changes in your mental state as other drugs; this can include depression and mood swings.
The Appeal of Testosterone Boosters
As you age your testosterone production naturally decreases. Research suggests that this is at a rate of 1% per year after the age of 30.
Whilst it is possible to simply boost your level of testosterone through steroids, older men are more interested in their overall body health. Testosterone boosters fit this description perfectly as they encourage your body to produce more testosterone naturally.
The majority of testosterone boosters are not just increasing your testosterone levels; they are also introducing an array of vitamins, minerals and effective natural ingredients into your body.
- Vitamins D3, K2 and B6
- D-Aspartic Acid
These are all essential to maintaining healthy cell structures and energy levels. In this aspect a testosterone booster is contributing to your overall health; not just increasing your muscle mass.
Testosterone is not usually an issue for younger men; although there are exceptions.
A testosterone booster will help support optimal T levels which helps build more muscle. But it won’t turn you into a Mr Olympia winner like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Phil Heath.
This is why anabolic steroids hold so much more appeal. They can provide the easy muscle gains that may otherwise seem impossible.
In fact, you can obtain steroids with ester removed from their composition; this can be used to create localized muscle growth. You may find this extremely appealing if you are attempting to look your best for a specific event.
The reason this is possible is that steroids without ester can be utilized by your muscles immediately. When they still include ester this needs to be removed in the bloodstream before muscle growth is possible. Of course, this means the steroids are available to all the muscles within your body.
It is also worth noting that steroid use is usually completed in cycles. When you finish one cycle you may find that your muscles decrease in both strength and size; this is simply a reaction to coming off the steroids.
Taking Your Choice of Supplement
Testosterone boosters are usually taken in pill form.
They are completely legal and approved by all the major food standards. However, this does not mean they are all created equal!
It is advisable to do your research and locate products which have a good reputation. This will ensure you get the results you desire without any significant risks.
You should choose an online supplier; this will facilitate easy replacement of your supply when needed and allow you to research the top testosterone booster manufacturer as well as the supplier.
You should also be able to locate positive reviews for your chosen testosterone booster through the supplier website and online forums.
In contrast an anabolic steroid can be given by injection or via a pill. You can administer the injection yourself.
However, it is essential to note that anabolic steroids can only be sold through a pharmacist once you have a prescription from a doctor.
They are a class C drug and you can only legally own them if they are for your personal use. In many cases doctors will not prescribe steroids simply to facilitate muscle growth. This has led to a large black market where you can purchase steroids illegally.
Of course, illegal steroids carry an increased risk as you cannot be certain what is in the drug you are about to take.
Young men may consider taking anabolic steroids in order to achieve significant muscle gains in a very short space of time. However, there is a serious risk to your health if this is your chosen route.
Although it was a popular option in the early days of bodybuilding the side effects were not well known at that time.
Now, the risk should be considered too great to justify the use of steroids.
It is still possible to gain muscle mass and have a great physique through a solid workout routine, good diet and the right supplementation.
Testosterone boosters can be safely added to this regime and boost your muscle mass.
If you are in your 30’s or older then the only safe supplement to take to assist you in gaining muscle mass is a testosterone booster.
The fact that it provides a range of other health benefits may simply be considered a bonus.